Sunday, August 22, 2010

Just a Little Flower




I was walking one morning, enjoying some time with God in the country setting around my home. As I was walking and talking with the Lord, I stopped at the side of the road to pick a flower, putting it behind my ear for safe-keeping on my way home. Then I went on, forgetting about the little flower as I prayed in the fresh air and sunshine.


Then I heard a quiet noise behind me in the road, like something small had fallen to the ground. I felt behind my ear, and to my dismay, I felt no little flower! So I turned around and frantically looked at the gravel beneath me; but to no avail. I finally saw it a few feet away from me, and picking it up gently, I put it back in its place in my hair. I breathed a sigh of relief and moved on feeling secure because it was with me.


I began pondering the situation. Why did I care so much about just a little flower? It was just one among many of its kind growing along this road; I could easily have replaced it. Why bother going to all of that trouble to find that one? To this day, I honestly don’t understand why I wanted it so badly. Yet its incomprehensibility makes it all the more closely parallel the tender, loving care of our Savior toward us.


When we fall and are lost, Jesus seeks us high and low, far and near, until He finds us, lying alone on the ground. He gently lifts up our fragile form, holding us close to Himself. We are safe and sound in His keeping, and He feels secure to move on. As He goes on, He picks up more fallen, lost souls to carry home with Him.


We have nothing to worry about, because Jesus will always care for us – just as I was so careful with that little flower. He says in Matthew 6:28-34, "Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: and yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall He not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? Or, What shall we drink? Or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."


Let’s take God at His word. He says, "All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field: the grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God will stand for ever." Isaiah 40: 6-7.


In His loving care,


Sister G.


P.S. This article is not for girls only! Let’s all take a lesson from one of God’s most beautiful and fragile creations!

No comments:

Post a Comment