Sunday, August 22, 2010

In the Rain

A positive victory over a negative spirit

We hear so much these days being positive and negative, optimist and pessimist; and it’s generally accepted that positive is the way to go. Really, we need to accept things the way they come to us from the hand of our loving, all-wise Father in heaven, and with a humble, happy attitude. In fact, why would we not do so, when we know that "ALL things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose"? Romans 8:28. God’s word says, "In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." 1 Thessalonians 5:18. It is God’s will that we be happy and thankful despite circumstances. Isn’t that wonderful? God doesn’t want us to be unhappy. And it is by His power and grace that we can be preserved from having a negative spirit.

The way we look at situations honestly does have a major effect on our happiness in general. We need to let God take full control of our hearts and lives, including our thoughts and attitude. When we let Him reign within, He fills us with peace no matter what comes our way. 2 Thessalonians 3:16 says, "Now the Lord of peace Himself give you peace always by all means." Even trials give us deeper peace as we learn to approach them having Jesus with us, in us, and through us.

Now I wish to tell you about an experience of mine that happened just a few weeks ago. Personal testimonies always seem to have more power and deeper meaning than talking without sharing a real-life, practical example.

I woke up one morning and noticed that my left foot was a little swollen near the toes. But I went about the day, hardly noticing it at all. However, I noticed later in the evening that my foot was pretty swollen in that area, and standing or walking on it was something I had to do with special care. My shoe felt tighter than before.

Over the next couple of days I struggled with a complaining, whining attitude, as my left foot had not healed yet and both of my feet had a slight skin problem. I had found myself telling my family all about my foot problems – which is fine, but considering the fact that I had already told them more than once and they well knew what was going on down there, it became apparent to me that my complaining was an issue that needed to be dealt with. Hence the struggle. I ended up on my knees multiple times a day over this issue.

A few days later brought me a powerful experience that closely corresponds with the following E.G.W. quote: "God’s children are always being tested in the furnace of affliction. If they endure the first trial, it is not necessary for them to pass through a similar ordeal the second time; but if they fail, the trial is brought to them again and again, each time being still more trying and severe. Thus opportunity after opportunity is placed before them of gaining the victory and proving themselves true to God. But if they continue to manifest rebellion, God is compelled at last to remove His Spirit and light from them." MS 69, 1912.

So I will tell you about my next ("still more trying and severe") test.

It was getting later and later, and I still had not done my outdoor chores, thinking it might be a better time that evening. I decided to do them after I took a shower. When I got out, it was late enough that I could not wait any longer to do my work. But it was growing cloudy and dark. These were definitely rain clouds coming in, and I did not want to do my work in the rain.

On top of this, my feet had still not healed up and I had a fresh little cut on my right ankle. And do you think I wanted to put on my slip-on shoes (the left of which felt too small for my foot) and after having just taken a shower, go out in the rain for fifteen minutes or so, giving water to my pets? I secretly hoped that somebody would offer to do it for me. And the other thought that went through my head was that maybe they didn’t need water since it was raining anyway. But I knew that they did not all have access to the rain water.

I was tempted to complain to my family about it, but was convicted to be positive. I struggled hard. I went to my room and knelt, asking for God’s help with my attitude. I then put my outdoor clothes on and headed toward the back door.

As I stepped out the door, I realized that it was really pouring much harder than I had thought. Satan was quick to tell me that this situation was worth being unhappy over. Yet I knew that if I went about my work murmuring, I would not be happy or at peace with Jesus. So I prayed while standing next to the house, sheltered by the wall from the rain. I told the Lord that I knew I would be happier if I went into the situation with Him; that I did not want to complain; that I wanted to be happy in all situations. And I told Him that I knew He could make me happy no matter what happened in my earthly life. I asked Jesus for His grace to do my work with a Christlike attitude. And I began working with a deep assurance that my prayers were answered.

I quickly made my way to the hose, laughing to myself, "I don’t know why I need the hose for anything when it’s raining so hard!"

Things went so efficiently as I watered my pets that night. I wasted no time going back and forth to do something somewhere where I had already been. I multitasked more than I had ever thought to do before. I was very quick, because "a voice" kept letting me know what would be the most efficient task to do next.

After just a little while into this, I was enjoying myself so much that I began to sing as I went about my work. Like I said earlier, even trials can give us deeper peace when we have Jesus with us. And I experienced that to the full in the rain that night; I felt so near to God that if I had been locked outside in this condition, it would not have mattered to me at all. My peace was deeper than a flood created by a thousand years of this hard rain could ever be – because my peace came from Jesus Christ.

Drops of rain trickled down my forehead as I bent over or leaned forward. I paused in my song of praise only to laugh at my drenched condition. I practically forgot about my foot and other problems; it did not hurt nearly as much as it had bothered me when I made a point to think about it.

I came in the house toward the end of the song and mixed my singing with laughter as I saw the expressions on the faces I passed by on my way up to my room. I came back down with a towel over my clothes and sat at the table for a very pleasant time of family worship.

You see, happiness does not in the slightest degree depend on circumstances; it is the way we learn and choose to deal with every situation of our lives. Just pause to think of it this way: God can order and provide the circumstances of our individual lives however He sees fit, and His deepest desire is for us to be happy. So when you put it together, you can only realize that all of the events of your life – whether they seem good or bad – were ordained of God for your very best interest and peace for life and eternity. Besides, it just does not fit for a Christian to be unhappy over something that is only earthly and temporary, not effecting one’s promise of eternity.

Are you unhappy? Why not consider changing your attitude? Just don’t make the same mistake I have made before. When cherished sin has separated me from Jesus, I have at times tried to tell myself that I was not at peace for false reasons, such as my attitude – thus excusing my real sin. But if you hear the still, small voice of the Holy Spirit convicting you that you, too, have an attitude problem, just yield yourself to Jesus and be happy!

Let’s all take a lesson from the murmuring Israelites who missed out on so many blessings because they refused to see God’s providence and leading, and simply trust in Him. God says to us, "Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer. Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come." 1 Corinthians 10:10-11.

God bless and keep you all in His infinite love and joy – come what may!

~Sister G.


No comments:

Post a Comment